No printing or copying pictures

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Farewell My Friend Dobbins

On February 5, 2012 I went to the Austin Zoo in the hopes to see Dobbins and Apollo in their new home.  Last year I planned to visit the tigers in November (during my birthday week) on my way to see the former WAO tiger and lions now living at In-Sync Exotics.  Since I was running out of time that day, I decided to visit the Austin Zoo another day and proceed on to Wylie, Texas.

I was also concerned that Dobbins may pass away before I got a chance to see him, but I prayed I would not miss him.

Sadly, I did.  For you see, when I arrived at the Austin Zoo, a miserable raining day, there was virtually no one around and so after exploring some, I was able to find Apollo's enclosure--with no Dobbins.  I knew he was gone.  I found an animal caretaker who told me that yes, Dobbins had passed away, but wasn't sure when.  He asked if I wanted to speak with his tiger keepers.  Yes of course!

I met Dobbins keepers and was told that on the day he died, Dobbins had multiple seizures.  Sadly, he did not pass quietly.  They thought he had died in November 2011, which absolutely broke my heart because I was wracked with guilt for not coming to see him sooner.  His keepers suggested I contact the Austin Zoo director to see if a necropsy had been done on Dobbins. 

I did learn that Dobbins loved his swimming pool during his short time at the Austin Zoo.  Dobbins was always such a water baby!  He and Dobbins were very close--I rarely saw them apart, so I have to wonder how Apollo is feeling now.  He looked so alone in the huge enclosure.  I plan on going again to see him in the summer -- I hear he loves the zipline in his enclosure and his pool.  I just wish Dobbins could have enjoyed a much longer life at the Austin Zoo...   

It took me awhile to contact the Austin Zoo to find out when and why Dobbins died. Our email correspondence is below the video and pictures.




Apollo watching the lions being fed


Apollo still watching the lions

Apollo sniffing around his enclosure


Apollo sniffing some more





Apollo drinking from his trough
(you can see his huge 3-tiered pool in the background!)



Two of the three blue and gold macaws sent to the Austin Zoo (one bird was missing)
(Jackie and Jill)

Lexie checking out his enclosure

Lexie sniffing some more

Lexie using his facility while his roomie watches

Lexie with his other roomie

The three foxes together


Lexie's female roomie

Sarge relaxing

Sarge close-up

Sarge and his new gal pal
(According to her plaque card, she did not come from the WAO)


From: Kristina Brunner
To: Patti Clark <
pattiaustinzoo@aol.com>
Sent: Thu, Feb 16, 2012 10:31 am
Subject: Re: Inquiry - Dobbins and Apollo!

Greetings Patti:

Several weeks ago I visited the Austin Zoo and had an opportunity to speak with Dobbin and Apollo's caretakers. I was greatly saddened to learn of Dobbin's passing sometime in November 2011 (the caretakers were unable to remember the exact date). Was a necropsy performed and if so, would you mind sharing the results with me along with the date of his passing?

I am thrilled to see Apollo living in such a large enclosure and I look forward to seeing him when the weather improves--I bet he loves the pool on hot summer days!

Would you happen to have any pictures of Dobbins in the pool? I was told by the workers that he loved the pool and would love to see him happily enjoying his time in the pool.

Thank you for caring for Dobbins and Apollo and I enjoyed my brief visit (before it started to pour down rain) at the Austin Zoo!

Kind regards,

Kristina

From: Patti Clark <pattiaustinzoo@aol.com>
To: Kristina Brunner
Sent: Thu, February 16, 2012 2:03:20 PM
Subject: Re: Inquiry - Dobbins and Apollo!


Kristina, I am sorry I missed your visit. Dobbins passed away October 23 due to lymphoma. Unfortunately, I do not have any photos of Dobbins in the pool. Apollo has settled in nicely and seems to be enjoying his new space.

Best regards,
Patti


From: Kristina Brunner
To: Patti Clark
Sent: Thu, Feb 16, 2012 2:17 pm
Subject: Re: Inquiry - Dobbins and Apollo!


Thank you Patti for the information. I'm kicking myself now for not coming down sooner to see him--something I will always regret. I guess that explains why poor Dobbin's health was so poor towards the end. Do you know what type of lymphoma he had (Mediastinal, Gastrointestinal, Multicentric, or Extranodal/miscellaneous)? I pray he did not suffer towards the end. Again, thanks for the information -

Kind regards,
Kristina

From: Patti Clark
To: Kristina Brunner
Sent: Thu, February 16, 2012 2:34:20 PM
Subject: Re: Inquiry - Dobbins and Apollo!


I do not know what type of lymphoma. He was fine up until his last day so he had a wonderful time in the short while he spent here.

Best,
Patti


Okay, I'm confused. Dobbins was very, very thin... He apparently had lymphoma, but the Zoo has no idea what type? And yet he was "fine up until his last day?"  I am sure Dobbins was in much better spirits at his new home, but he was far from fine.  The pictures I saw of him was shocking--he was so thin looking.  He must have been very sick for at least 6-12 months and the WAO did nothing to help him.  At least he didn't die at the WAO like Lance did.  I just wish Lance could have gotten out of there too before he died.  So much death and disease at the WAO...

Dear Lord, please bless Dobbin's soul into Heaven.  May You hold him and comfort him forever because he is a very special tiger...Amen.


Apollo and Dobbins (rear)
January 28, 2007
I miss you Dobbins...

Dobbins
December 17, 2009


Apollo (r) and Dobbins (l)
August 1, 2010
Later:

I just noticed that I did not comment on Lexie and the birds.  Well, they all seem to be doing great.  Lexie seemed very happy in his new home, running all over the place, sniffing, and playing with his roomies--something he never did at the WAO.  He is so adorable!! 

The birds also seemed very happy!  Sarge has a roommate -- she's really adorable and the two girls (blue and gold macaws) were stuck together like they were glued together!  Nicole thought three blue and gold macaws went to the Austin Zoo, which means one of them must of died sometime from 2010-2012.  I wish I knew what happened to the bird.

All in all, I'm glad Apollo, Lexie, and the birds have found a home at the Austin Zoo.

Later:

Found these pictures on Facebook of Apollo playing in the pool with his new ball!

Apollo (AKA Ramah at the Austin Zoo) - 061812


Apollo (AKA Ramah at the Austin Zoo) - 071412
Apollo - picture on Facebook - 090212

I miss him and Dobbins.  Just wish Dobbins could have enjoyed the ball and pool with Apollo.  

No comments:

Post a Comment