No printing or copying pictures

Friday, October 19, 2012

May God Bless and Protect Lulu's Soul in Heaven

I am devastated to learn today that Lulu died at Safe Haven Zoo on October 15th.  Her passing was announced on Facebook on October 19, 2012.

Lulu was one of my favorite tigers at the WAO.  She was so sweet and always loved to come up to greet me every time I cleaned out her water bowl or cleaned out/refilled her small pool.  She loved to play and was so energetic and that is how I will always remember her.  She loved watching us mow and edge around her enclosure, always delighting the juvenile community workers with her silly antics!  I miss her chuffing...I miss her playing with the water hose...she loved playing with water so much. She was always happy when I came out to bath her and she loved playing with me when I tried to clean out her water bowl.  I probably spent the most time with her, out of all the big cats, cleaning out her water bowl because she always wanted to "help" me.  

I miss her so much...




October 19, 2012



We regret to inform everyone that Lulu, one of our Siberian tigers, passed away on October 15th. In May Lulu lost control of her back legs due to a pinched nerve. Thanks to steroid treatments she was able to recover and experience five more happy months. Last week the issue returned and although she could not stand she was in no pain at all. After examination by the vet it was determined that surg
ery would be the only possible solution. Due to Lulu's advanced age of eighteen, sedation and surgery would be too dangerous so we made the decision to help her pass peacefully in her enclosure with Safe Haven founder Lynda by her side. Although Lulu was with us for only two short years, she touched the hearts of everyone she encountered. Lulu was always ready with a good morning chuff for anyone who passed her enclosure. One of her favorite activities was painting. All this beautiful girl needed was a canvas, some paint, and a little Obsession perfume and she was content. Safe Haven prides itself on accepting geriatrics from owners that no longer want them. Unfortunately, these older cats are with us for only a brief time, making it especially difficult when we lose them. Here, however, they have had the opportunity to finish out their final years surrounded by caring and loving staff and in dignity. Lulu will be very missed by all of us.
 

This is Lulu in 2008 - since I was not allowed on the property, a friend took
this picture for me as part of her under cover work to document all the animals.

This is Lulu  girl, loving as always
I took this picture on the last day I was at the WAO on May 1, 2010.  


One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't take enough pictures of the WAO animals.  I was always so busy taking care of the animals, I just never thought of carrying a camera with me.  I guess I thought I would have more time with them.  I will always have beautiful memories of my girl -- I just wish I spent more time with her.

May God Bless and Protect Lulu in Heaven.  She is an angel animal and I miss her very, very much.  

.

No comments:

Post a Comment