No printing or copying pictures

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Praise the Lord--the Animals Are Free!!

Amazing wonderful news! After almost four long years, my goal of seeing a change in management has finally taken place and the animals are now under the care of someone who actually wants what's best for them!

The on-line newspaper carried the good news and until the new director is willing to go on camera, the local news stations will not carry the story until a later time.
 
So, the change was made very quietly and very positive to protect the animals and incoming donations as money is needed to finish the bears' and monkeys' enclosures. Money is needed to buy good quality food. Money is needed to pay the operating costs. Money is needed for vet care. Simply put, money is needed.

This evening I was asked by the new director when I would be able to come out and visit the animals. I told her it would be awhile because I was feeling ill and needed time to recuperate.
This case has taken a lot out of my physically and mentally. Throughout the case I was diagnosed as having bronchitis, both ears infected, an ulcer, sleep disorder, post traumatic distress, slipped back joint -- all primarily from stress and living behind my desk at home. Today, I still have bronchitis, infected ears and sleep disorder. I pray now that the case is over I can focus on healing both my mind and body. I also want to reconnect with my own animal companions. They are so used to seeing their mommy's back as I worked on the computer for hours on end each day, instead of playing and brushing their fur. I am exhausted and quite ready to turn the reins over to someone else!

So now my investigation primarily ends and the new director's quest for the truth begins. I have faith that she will get through this with the help of the animal caretakers. I already learned the new director purchased monkey chow for both properties (no more dog food for the monkeys!), the new prepared meat arrived, produce was ordered, and the lioness, Kuvo, will have her blood tested as she will be under the vet's care. I understand one of the former vets, who was fired by the former ps female director over three years ago, will return to the facility! He was the same vet that tried to attend the emergency board meeting, but was locked out by the ps former directors. I am pleased this vet is returning as he seemed genuinely concerned for the sanctuary's animals.

With the new director cooperating with the USDA/APHIS and Texas OAG, I believe the sanctuary will recover from its dark days and prosper in the future. All this would not be possible if it was not for my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He listened to my prayers and gave the surviving animals the miracle they so desperately needed. Thank you, God.


[Present Day:  In retrospect, I find it interesting that the OAG's James Anthony had the time to review and make recommendations to the WAO's press release, but did NOT have the time to prosecute this case!]

From: waonicole@hotmail.com

To: smatthes@aol.com
CC: karenmaxfield@msn.com; michelleanthonycryer@yahoo.com; ericturton@logixonline.com
Subject: RE: Press Release
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 14:18:28 -0500


I think this is good. I needed it given to me that way


Nicole Asvestas-Garcia
The Wild Animal Orphanage
P.O Box 690422
San Antonio, TX 78269
PH: 210-688-9038
FAX: 210-688-9514
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From: SMatthes@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 15:06:53 -0400
Subject: Press Release
To: waonicole@hotmail.com
CC: karenmaxfield@msn.com; michelleanthonycryer@yahoo.com


Nicole and Board Members: I received a call from the AG's office relating to the proposed Press Release. It was suggested that it be rewritten in the manner as shown below. It is felt that this will clearly show the actions of the BOD. Further, it will keep the public from thinking that Ron and Carol are appreciated by the BOD. I can certainly agree with the AG's comments and suggestions.


I hate to say it, but I guess it's time to play hard ball, as we have no idea as to how Ron and Carol will be reacting to all this.


Comments please.


Sumner


The Board of Directors of the Wild Animal Orphanage has announced the termination of Ron and Carol Asvestas as employees effective immediately. Carol Asvestas has also been terminated as a member of the Board of Directors. Mrs. Nicole A. Garcia, who has worked with the Wild Animal Orphanage over many years, has been appointed by the board as CEO.

As with all changes, this action is requiring a short transition period. Board members and all dedicated employees are working together to assure that the best possible responsible care is being provided to the animals at the WAO.


The support of all who have participated in assisting the WAO, over the years, is most appreciated. We trust that this support will continue for the animals that we all care deeply about.

No comments:

Post a Comment