No printing or copying pictures

Friday, December 4, 2009

Jake's Necropsy Results Are In

According to the necropsy and medical test results, Jake died from an environmental fungal pneumonia, and was apparently sick for a very long time. It is undetermined at this time whether Jake became sick four years ago, prior to his arrival at the sanctuary, or if he became sick after his arrival -- regardless, by the time Jake's declining health was discovered, it was too late to save him.

I hold the two animal caretakers that work at the second site responsible for allowing Jake suffer for so long.  Poor baby just wasted away and the animal caretakers just stood by and watched him slowly waste away.  How could they not know something was terribly wrong with Jake?  What kind of people allow animals to suffer alone?  I recommended to the director that the animal caretakers be fired immediately, because if they could do this to Jake, then chances are they will do it again to another animal.  I know this will be a tough decision because these animal caretakers have been working at the sanctuary for years.  However, in light of what we are discovering, I believe it is time for the two ladies to find new jobs elsewhere.

The new director plans to take Jake's body to Paws in Heaven to have his body cremated and he will be returned to the sanctuary.
I wish I could have done more for Jake, but I know he is in Heaven, free of cages and disease. I miss him.  I just don't know if I can ever forgive myself for not going out to the Talley Road sooner.  I should have gone out there as soon as Nicole invited me.  Perhaps I could have...

Should have, could have, didn't.  Now I have to live with my decision.  Lesson learned.  Never let your fear of the unknown stop you from doing what you know in your heart is the right decision.  I should have gone.  I could have gone.  I didn't.  God forgive me.


Necropsy Report Jake WAO



Later:

Photo taken in 2009
The workers claimed they did not know Jake was in severe distress.

Whaaat??

How in the world could you guys miss all the signs Jake exhibited that he was in distress?  He looked like a walking skeleton. I decided it was time to educate all the animal care staff on the general signs an animal may be seriously ill.  I pray this message is distributed to all the workers before they put another animal's life in danger.

From: Kristina Brunner

To: Nicole Garcia
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2009 4:22 PM

FYI - In light of what happened to Jake, perhaps the animal caretakers should be made aware of the symptoms a primate may show when in severe distress:

Signs for Evaluating Morbidity in Animals

Note: this list is not exhaustive.
Hunched posture

Sunken eyes, with or without discharge

Respiration that has increased, decreased, or appears labored

Rapid weight loss (more than 10% of body weight within a 1-week period)

Total weight loss from baseline (>20%) Note: Weight loss criteria for young, growing animals is different than for adult animals. In general weight loss is not acceptable for growing animals; rather, a "reduced weight gain" protocol will be established on a case –by- case basis depending on the study and species.
Decreased body condition score (2.5 or less on a scale of 1 – 5; see species-specific guidelines for assigning a body condition score).
Decreased or no intake of food

Hypothermia or hyperthermia

Ruffled hair coat, erection of hair or fur, lack of grooming behavior

Diarrhea or constipation

Vomiting

Unsteady gait or lameness not induced by experimental manipulation

Ulcerated tumors

Severe or ulcerative dermatitis
A Moribund state is defined as a state of dying. Any animal exhibiting these characteristics would be considered to have end-stage illness and should be euthanized immediately.

Hang in there, tiger - 

Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment