No printing or copying pictures

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

News Flash - USDA Told WAO Get Rid of the Monkeys

I just learned today from a source that the Texas OAG and the USDA did visit the WAO this month. USDA apparently ordered the WAO to get rid of all of its monkeys. I was reminded that many of the primates sent to the WAO was under contract for life long care. This could potentially be a real problem for the WAO.

I sent Dr. Pannill, USDA/APHIS, and email today regarding the long-tailed macaques that used to live behind the demolished animal clinic, asking if she knew what happened to the primates. So far I have not received an email back, when usually she responds rather quickly to my email inquiries. I fear the worse for the primates that were placed at the WAO by Bayer Corporation (for money of course). I pray they were not all euthanized.

Later - June 30, 2010 from 8:22am - 8:32am by cell

I spoke with Dr. Pannill before she left for work this morning. Apparently she was activated in support of Hurricane Alex in case there were any animal emergency that may come up during or after the hurricane hit land near Brownsville, Texas.

In any case, I called and asked her if she knew whether or not the primates (long-tailed macaques), located behind the demolished clinic were okay. She said as far as she knew they were fine. She was aware that the Cryers planned on moving them to Talley Road, but would not know for sure until her next visit the following week.

Dr. Pannill confirmed the USDA and the OAG visited the WAO and its board members. She told me the board members are not like the previous board, rubber stamping all of the Cryers decisions. Apparently, the Cryers are very much like the Asvestas, proclaiming all their great ideas they have for the Orphanage, but not actually doing anything make these great things happen. I was told the new board took the Cryers "to task" for not following through on certain actions.

Dr. Pannill asked me if there were any way I could help put out a positive word out about the WAO, because they need it right now. I told her I was never invited by the new board or the Cryers, and in light of all the negative things the Cryers said about me while she was on the board (under Asvestas and Garcia), I was hesitant to help now. Especially after the way she took over the board. I did say that if the board approached me, I would be more than willing to help the animals, but it would have to come from the board, not the Cryers.

Dr. Pannill also confirmed that the WAO was encouraged to place as many animals as possible to reduce feed and animal care costs. She indicated she may have found a home for all the bears living at Talley Road. Right now I got the impression the WAO is working with the new facility, but nothing is firm yet.

I was told the Cryers really do want to keep all the animals, but I don't think Michelle has the knowledge on how to make this happen. The board member from SeaWorld apparently has some fundraising experience from the Red Cross and is trying to put together some ideas on how to raise funds for the animals.

Some good news -- the WAO was able to purchase the good red meat recently. I don't know where they got the money to pay for the previous bill and this new bill, but regardless, it is good news that the big cats are finally able to eat something other than chicken!

In any case, Dr. Pannill was surprised at all the debt the WAO amassed. She had no idea I was well aware of the problem and had raised the alarm when Nicole Garcia first took over. Too bad Michelle Cryer never paid much attention about the debt from October 2009 - April 2010. Now that she is aware of the problems, I hope she takes responsibility for her past transgressions.

I don't buy the excuse, allegedly made by the Cryers to the USDA and OAG, that she was duped by Carol Asvestas over the years since my allegations and the OAG investigative paperwork were available for all to see. She just didn't want to rock the boat with Carol. She and her husband had a really good animal transportation deal while he "worked" for the WAO, and quite frankly in my opinion, she did not want to lose the additional income.

Now that Cryer sees how much work it takes to really operate this facility, I hope she has learned a valuable lesson that (1) if you are on a board, you have to take responsibility for your actions and not blame others for your failings; (2) never covet something someone else may have -- the grass is not always greener in someone else's backyard.

Should be interesting to see if the WAO Board actually contacts me. I have my doubts, buy hey, I've been surprised before, so I guess I will leave all this in the Good Lord's Hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment