No printing or copying pictures

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Where Did the WAO Animals Go?

Several months ago, I asked the USDA to send me information pertaining to the WAO animals sent to me under a FOIA. When I did not receive a listing of where the animals went, I decided to send them another FOIA request to see if THEY knew where the animals went:

From: Kristina Brunner
To: foia.officer@aphis.usda.gov
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:55 AM
Subject: Freedom of Information Act Request; Animal Sanctuary of the United States, DBA Wild Animal Orphanage, et al

FOIA Request
USDA, APHIS, FOIA
4700 River Road, Unit 50
Riverdale, MD 20723

Date:  May 29, 2013

Re: Freedom of Information Act Request; Animal Sanctuary of the United States, DBA Wild Animal Orphanage, et al

Dear FOIA Manager:

This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. Sec. 552. C 

I request a copy of the listing (or individual correspondences) showing where all the ASUS/WAO animals were relocated from 2010 - 2012. 

I request a waiver of all fees for this request. Disclosure of the requested information to me is in the public interest because it is likely to contribute significantly to public understanding of the operations or activities of the government.

In order to save time and money, the preferred method of receiving this information is by email or CD versus hardcopy documents.

Thank you for your consideration of this request.

Sincerely,

 
Kristina M. Brunner 

When I finally received the information, I was not surprised that the USDA sent me an incomplete and partially inaccurate listing of where the WAO went--par for the course I suppose.  I guess they didn't care where the WAO animals went, whether they went to good homes or not, just as long as they were "gone."



Unlike the USDA, I cared where the WAO animals went as I spent months searching for them.  I wonder how many of the animals are still alive today.  Below is a listing I compiled over a two year span.  I believe the information to be accurate based on the sources who provided me the information. There were several animals that I could not find.  If you should know where they went, please let me know via the comments box so I can update the record.  If any information is incorrect, please let me know this too, so I can correct the record.  Thanks!



Updated Listing as of April 2014:


Apparently, I was not the only one requesting information on the WAO animals.  I found this on the USDA site:

CASE NO. 11-044
LAST NAME  Byron-Marasek
FIRST NAME  Joan
AFFILIATION  Tigers Only Preservation Society
DATE  RECEIVED  10/22/2010
DATE DUE OUT 12/3/2010
TRACK   Fast
SUBJECT
Requesting a copy of the entire list of tigers (animal inventory) housed at The Wild Animal Orphanage (WAO) located at Leslie Road site and Talley Road site in San Antonio, Texas. This list should include names, ages sexes and places of origin of each of the tigers.   Also photographs of all tigers located at WAO and the full identity of any and all places and sanctuaries where the tigers are being placed.  In addition, the requester is seeking photographs of the 55 tigers at WAO.  
CLOSURE DATE  12/2/2010

I'd be curious to know if she received anything she requested from the USDA/APHIS.

No comments:

Post a Comment