No printing or copying pictures

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Okemo is Very Sick

Yesterday afternoon I learned of some very, very sad news.  Okemo has bone cancer.  While this news is not a surprise, I have to admit I was praying for an Okemo miracle. 

Okemo is such a loving tiger and I wish I got to know him better while he lived at the WAO.  It appears Okemo has had bone cancer for quite some time because his jaw looks like "a hammer had been taken to it."  Of course, this explains all the fluid, blood, and pus that was drained from his jaw last week.  I saw a picture of the fluid (not posted to this site) and it looked really, really bad.

It breaks my heart that another WAO animal is dying from cancer.  While there is not 100% proof Okemo contracted cancer because of the terrible care he received at the WAO (substandard food, filthy water, filthy enclosures, no vet care, no enrichment, etc), I cannot help but declare that after all the animals that died or are dying now because of their time at the WAO, I blame everyone who had a part of the terrible care the animals received over the years.

From the animal caretakers who refused to tell the truth when interviewed by the USDA investigators, to the the Board of Directors who never cared enough to even spend time with the animals, to the Asvestas' who ran an "alleged" money laundering scheme on the back of the animals.  All are at fault. 

Since the USDA refused to prosecute the "criminals" I can only pray justice will be meted out by God Almighty.  The animals truly deserved so much better.  Okemo deserved so much better. 

Thankfully, Okemo lives at In-Sync Exotics where he will be loved on and receive the best care possible during his final days/months.  I just feel so helpless...I wish there was something I could do for him too.  It's just not fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment