No printing or copying pictures

Friday, July 1, 2011

Big Reveal, Part IV: What IFAW Does Not Want You to Know!

Years ago, when reviewing the Bexar County Clerk records, I discovered an Assumed Name Certificate, obtained by Ron Asvestas under the Animal Sanctuary of the United States' name.  

For the life of me, I could not figure out what this dba meant to the WAO case.  A couple of days ago, I went back through some old emails, looking for a particular correspondence, when I decided to re-read some of the "old stuff."  I planned on reading just a few old emails for about 15 minutes, but instead I ended up reading for over an hour, shocked and surprised I had not figured out long ago what transpired at the WAO while I was a volunteer and board director.

As to my above assume named document discovery, well, let's just say, I now know the answer to question that alluded me all these years.  Before I go into detail as to what I recently learned, I believe I need to set the stage, so to speak.

If you have been reading my blogs, then you know already that I was working with Linda Howard for several months before she passed away.  Over time, Linda shared with me photos and stories of what really happened at the WAO.  Linda promised to share with me communications made between herself and the WAO board (back in the day), but first she wanted me to understand why she stayed friends with Carol Asvestas over the years.  She slowly released emails to me, so I could understand what she had gone through while serving as a board advisor.  I think she was afraid of my reaction as to just how involved she was with Carol Asvestas and the WAO.

Any way, before she could share all her emails with me, Linda passed away.  To my surprise, her husband knew about Linda's desire to share the emails with me, and so he was most kind in allowing me to download the documents before he packed up Linda's computer for good.

When I first read the emails, I have to admit I had no idea what I was reading.  Other than a few people mentioned in the majority of the communications, I didn't recognize the players involved.

Until now.  Five years later.

What you are about to read are just a few emails between Linda, Sumner, Cindy, and several IFAW employees.  I think after reading this information, you will be shocked to learn that Carol Asvestas and IFAW started a clandestine coalition to track and monitor the activities of USDA/APHIS employees, as they inspected and licensed what the coalition believed were "questionable" sanctuaries.  These documents are NOT privileged information as they were freely given to me so I could learn exactly what the WAO, its board members, and its two "senior" animal caretakers were up to--and trust me, it wasn't about caring for the WAO animals.

Please pay particular attention to the dates on each document as you read about this "disastrous" union between Carol Asvestas and IFAW as it unfolds!  Also, keep in mind these important events which occurred during my last year or so at the WAO:  Hurricane Katrina and Rita struck during the late summer months and early fall, 2005 and I left the board of directors during the first week of January, reporting my concerns and findings to IFAW in February, 2006.



Here are a few pictures of places where Carol Asvestas, Michelle Reininger (caretaker), Norma Lagutchik (office manager and caretaker) and Stephanie Reynolds (caretaker?) conducted "undercover" investigations of sanctuaries IFAW deemed "unacceptable" or simply operating as roadside zoos.  Do any of the pictures look familiar to you?


Big Cat Rescue, Florida
Today, IFAW considers BCR a "partner"





In-Sync Exotics
Today, IFAW considers ISE a "partner"

In-Sync Exotics
Today, IFAW considers ISE a "partner"

In-Sync Exotics
Today, IFAW considers ISE a "partner"
















Below is an example of an undercover report written by Carol Asvestas allegedly submitted to IFAW:





Can you just imagine the looks on Ian Robinson and the other IFAW employees' faces when they first read my complaint letter sent to them regarding the WAO and its board of directors?  No wonder they did not want to take any action against the Asvestas.  I mean really, they hired the fox to "investigate" the hen house!!  There was a serious conflict of interest between the WAO and IFAW, and therefore I now understand completely why IFAW refused to take my complaints seriously.

The very organization IFAW's little animal crisis coalition should have been investigating was the WAO.  Where was IFAW's secret dossier, photos, videos, and database on the WAO?  Oh yeah, that would be with me.  I did what IFAW refused to do -- I investigated the WAO and its board members thoroughly, and reported my findings to law enforcement and its chief supporter and enabler, IFAW.  You know, IFAW could learn a thing or two from me about how to conduct an investigation, despite all the obstacles thrown in my path by compromised "animal groups", unmotivated USDA "inspectors", and uncaring OAG "attorneys."

I told Nicole Garcia about my findings and she confirmed what I had learned was true.  Apparently, IFAW gave Carol Asvestas close to $100k to conduct a year long investigation into other exotic animal sanctuaries.  The monies were used for travel, per diem, food, clothes, undercover cameras, lapel microphones, and video cameras.  I believe I've seen some of this stuff  advertised on San Antonio's Craigslist!  So much for returning IFAW's stuff back at the "conclusion of the investigation."

Because of the Hurricane events, Christmas holiday, and my call for an emergency board meeting, something tells me that Carol Asvestas never completed her "investigation" contractual duties for IFAW.  Sooo...IFAW threw away approximately $100k so Carol Asvetas could take "vacation" trips throughout the United States.  Way to go, IFAW.  Makes me wonder how often IFAW threw away valuable contributions on clandestine operations such as the ones conducted by the WAO.

No wonder IFAW refused to provide me a list of grants given to the WAO.  Even Gail A'Brazo was not completely honest when she emailed Nicole a list of all grants given to the WAO.  So, first let's look at the spreadsheet given to Nicole again. 
Subject: RE: IFAW grants to WAO
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:27:42 -0400
From: gabrunzo@ifaw.org
To: waonicole@hotmail.com


Hi Nichole,


Before I forget, here's the IFAW/WAO grant history. Our fiscal year ends June 30.


It was nice talking to you. Am looking forward to getting your email outlining problems/resolutions.


Regards,


Gail


Gail A'Brunzo
International Fund for Animal Welfare
290 Summer Street, Yarmouth Port MA 02675
Ph: 508.744.2197
Mobile: 774-487-0617
gabrunzo@ifaw.org
http://www.ifaw.org/
WAO Grant Monies - FY01- FY09


Did you notice the entry for April 1, 2004?  And now for the "quick pass" of donations:

IFAW Historical Analysis - 1st Pass 2 5 10
 


Even towards the end of IFAW and WAO's relationship, you can see how involved IFAW was in the WAO's affairs.


I guess what bothers me the most is that IFAW didn't care about the deplorable conditions that some of the Talley Road tigers and bears were forced to live in for five or more years! What I find ironic is that the Leslie Road property was no different than a "road-side zoo." Animals were kept in small enclosures, in some cases, the cages were smaller than the one shown on the video above at the "Tiger Stop."  You could smell the busy freeway's carbon exhaust (Highway 1604) and hear the sound of traffic, 24 hours/7 days a week. Yet, IFAW did not have a problem with the WAO's Leslie Road property.  Interesting.

Several WAO cougars lived in the small monkey enclosure "run-off" area.  This was a very tiny cage for these majestic cats.

Donors to IFAW's campaigns have reason to question how their donations are really being used in the United States.  It's stuff like this that gives non-profit entities a bad rap. Shame on IFAW, the WAO's board of directors and its employees for their refusal to protect the very animals they purport to care about.  

I believe the axiom You should "clean up your own backyard" before trying to fix others applies to this situation--IFAW you should have never sent Carol Asvestas and WAO employees to go out and investigate the WAO's competition without making sure the WAO animals were living in quality enclosures and receiving outstanding care!


And now, a little humor, courtesy of Big Cat Rescuer:



No comments:

Post a Comment