No printing or copying pictures

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Update on the Cougars and Macaques Living WRR

Today I was blessed with the opportunity to visit four former WAO cougars and the 5 rhesus macaques that now call Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation in Kendalia, home.

One of the intern animal caretakers, Kate, took me to see the four cougars first, then we proceeded on to see the macaques.

The four cougars were placed in two side-by-side habitats.  The enclosures are very large (over an acre) with lots of natural vegetation.  The front side of the enclosure is flat with lots of trees and grasses, and the backside of the enclosure has a steep incline, guaranteeing the cougars lots of much needed exercise.

I was not able to see all four of the cougars, but I was able to see Freddy!





Freddy, I believe, lives with Sarah, the cougar that escaped the WAO a few weeks back.  Here is a video of Freddy in action:


Cougars, Hillary and Cloe, live in the adjacent enclosure along with an aging male.  I was only able to see one of the female cougars, coming up to get a drink.  I believe she is the same cougar that would always take a drink from the WAO water bowl, right before I would clean it.  I don't know if she remembered me, but I will never forget her. 



The older WRR male is on the left and the former WAO cougar is on the right

So, let's recap:


Before - WAO
Before - WAO

After - WRR (Front side of one enclosure containing
the 2 female cougars)

After - WRR (backside of one enclosure)
Kate then took me to see the five female Rehsus Macaques that originally came from Lehman College, New York.  On our way to see the monks, we ran into a few WRR residents:



Four of the Rhesus Macaques were placed together in one enclosure, while the fifth macaque was placed in a temporary cage, to be introduced to an older male macaque.  Apparently, the fifth female macaque was having trouble adjusting to her new surroundings with the other females, so a determination was made to place her with the lone male seen below.  In a day or so, the female macaque's cage will be placed inside the enclosure.  If all goes well, she will be released to join the male in their enclosure very soon!

Four former WAO Rhesus Macaques live in this enclosure

I was able to see three macaques playing in the trees!

The fifth macaque waiting to join the male
The five macaques are able to get out of the cold by entering the rotound building and the other two macaques have very nice heat boxes.  I was invited back next summer to see how everyone is doing.  I cannot wait to see how everyone is adjusting in about 7-8 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment