No printing or copying pictures

Friday, January 7, 2011

5 Year Anniversary of When I First Confronted the WAO Board

Today is the anniversary date of when I first confronted to the WAO board of directors in hopes of getting them to see that the WAO was in desperate trouble.  I cannot believe that was five long years ago I had the courage to push this case to the OAG, USDA, and TCEQ.  I can still vividly remember what it was like, confronting an angry board, hell bent on discrediting me for disrupting their status quo, on that fateful day I attended my last board meeting at the WAO.

For the last couple of weeks I’ve been going through some old files, which I had intended to place in order, box, and then store for historical reference at the start of the New Year (2011).

I unexpectedly came across files which I had made copies a long time ago, intending to go through them and report my findings with the appropriate government office. The former director of the WAO asked for my help in sorting through all the material, because quite simply, it is a lot of material for just one person to sort through and write up the reports. The reports were to be used in defense of the WAO against the litigants, Ron and Carol Asvestas.

I have been floored by the large amount of data in support of the allegations I made that “contract” workers were used to evade paying the IRS employee taxes; Ron Asvestas claimed he was a “contract” workers while simultaneously collected weekly paychecks; the shear number of people, mostly community service workers, used to “launder money” for the Asvestas; the vacation and bonus payouts for the Asvestas; the use of their son as a “contract” worker when clearly he should have been classified as an employee; the use of a “contract worker” to haul animals across stateliness that was also clearly an employee; not to mention the number of times employees or community service workers were paid wages on behalf of either Ron Asvestas or Michael Escamilla so as to avoid paying taxes on their “salaries.”

Needless to say, there is more to the story, but I think you get the idea of what I’ve discovered.  I am still sifting through all the material, trying to formulate how I am going to write up my report as it covers so much material.

I was very disappointed to read that the OAG received this same information, yet did NOTHING to remove the Asvestas from the Orphanage. Mr. Anthony knew they were misappropriating funds from the Orphange. He knew the Asvestas and the board were sending out false and misleading newsletter appeals to the general public, and yet did nothing to stop them. Instead, the OAG attorney elected a course of action that would have been tantamount to a slap on the wrists. The attorneys knew what the Asvestas were doing. The board knew exactly what was happening at the WAO and even went as far as to “encourage” and “applaud” the Asvestas for going through the tough so-called OAG investigation. And yet…

I am amazed at the number of government employees wondering about my intentions to stop the Asvestas. Did I have a grudge against the Asvestas? Was I fired for cause? Did I get caught trying to ‘steal” a monkey? Did I want to take the Orphanage away from the board?

Instead of doing their jobs, and prosecuting the Asvestas and the WAO board of directors, the USDA and the OAG kept spinning their wheels, wondering why I was pushed this case forward with such tenacity.

Not once did it ever cross their minds that I was doing this for the animals, with no hope of ever getting reimbursed for the thousands of dollars I’ve sunk into this case. I don’t have my hand out like the government, board, and employees, do right now, demanding money from the WAO estate.

I did not pursue this case for profit. Nor did I want to “take over” the Orphanage.

I did this for the animals. Because it was the right thing to do. But most importantly, I did this because the animals deserved so much more from all of us. For years, I refused to accept what was happening to the animals at the WAO. I should have been more vigilant. I should have asked more questions. I should have been there to protect the animals from the directors, board, and animal caretakers. This group of people did not care what happened to the animals, whether they lived or died, existed in small, filthy cages, and barely got enough food to survive on. They only cared about not rocking the boat – they just wanted to keep the status quo and the money flowing. If I had not spoke out in defense of the animals, who would have defended them?

Now that about half of the animals are gone, I know I will never be able to see even the animals left behind again. At some point, the USDA will move in and order the death of the remaining animals because they cannot be rehomed due to age or health condition. There is no way the OAG and the USDA will allow the WAO to continue operating a sanctuary indefinitely.

I cannot help but feel my job is not done yet. I cannot save the animals left behind, but I can make sure everyone knows how culpable the government and the WAO board was in the animals’ demise.

It is also very hard for me to forget the animals that left San Antonio. For the most part I know the animals are better off in their new homes. I am just saddened I could not make things right for them while they lived at the WAO; I so wanted to right all the wrongs that were visited upon them. Sadly, I could not say good-bye to the animals that left and those left behind and so I’m left with a huge hole in my heart for them all.

I realize you probably cannot relate to what I am writing about because, let’s face it, there are not that many people out there willing to go to the ends of the Earth to save a bunch of animals. It’s hard work, with long hours, and lots of personal sacrifice. You lose your friends, your family gives up on you because you keep on talking about the “case,” and your boss prays you’ll stay out of the news.

I know sanctuaries that took in the WAO animals cannot understand how I am feeling right now—no doubt they are hoping I will go away and never write them again for an update on their recently acquired tigers, bears, capuchin monks, cougars, or macaques. Already, two sanctuaries refuse to respond to my animal inquiries. These sanctuary directors have no idea what it feels like to lose the opportunity to make a wrong, very right. And worse, never be allowed to be a part of the animals’ lives again, unless I want to travel out-of-state for a brief paid public “tour” visit of the animals, which is simply not possible since I have elder animals at home that require my love and attention.

I pray these sanctuary directors never take for granted the animals they are entrusted to care for; never defraud the public of funds intended for the animals (that includes taking home sanctuary’s office equipment and supplies for personal use, commercializing their animals, or embellish animal stories for profit on the web, news, or newsletters); and most importantly never forget to empathize with those who have to say good-bye to their animals, knowing they will never be able to see them again; understanding that there is a human element to every “rescue” story.  It doesn't matter why they were forced to relinquish their animals--if they loved them, they will miss them terribly.

So while the OAG and the USDA investigators continue to scratch their collective heads, wondering why I pursued this case, and wondering what their next course of action will be, I have the satisfaction of know I did the right thing at the end of the day. I stood up and testified for the animals when no one else could or would. For some reason, I cannot help but think I simply did not do enough to save them--this will be a regret I will have to carry around for the rest of my life.

Now, I just need to get over this tremendous feeling of loss and failure that I could not save all the WAO animals. At the end of the day, I have to believe there will be some sort of justice for these animals else history will continue to repeat itself.


































No comments:

Post a Comment