No printing or copying pictures

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Where is Maverick? Sabrina and Savannah Have New Homes!

When I reviewed the latest inventory list I posted to the blog yesterday, I noticed Maverick, a black-spotted leopard, was missing.


So I contacted Dr. Pannill with the USDA/APHIS to find out if he was relocated or had passed away.

From: "Kristina Brunner"
Sent: 01/18/2011 05:38 PM CST
To: Elizabeth Pannill
Subject: WAO Animals

Dear Dr. Pannill:

I'm checking in to see how Maverick is doing. I understand he is no longer
showing up on the WAO's animal inventory list. Is he still with the WAO
(rehomed) or did he pass away? k
The response:

From: "Elizabeth.C.Pannill@aphis.usda.gov"
To: Kristina Brunner
Sent: Wed, January 19, 2011 2:12:20 PM
Subject: Re: WAO Animals

He has a new home now !
Yea!

From: Kristina Brunner
Sent: 01/19/2011 12:17 PM PST
To: Elizabeth Pannill
Subject: Re: WAO Animals

Thanks great news! I pray the new home is a really great one for he is a
special black-spotted leopard! Do you happen to know where he went? k
Kind of an obvious next question!

From: "Elizabeth.C.Pannill@aphis.usda.gov"
To: Kristina Brunner
Sent: Wed, January 19, 2011 2:30:15 PM
Subject: Re: WAO Animals

He is in a good place, with a good staff, vet care etc.
Not the response I was expecting.

From: Kristina Brunner
Sent: 01/19/2011 12:43 PM PST
To: Elizabeth Pannill
Subject: Re: WAO Animals


but you will not say where?
From: "Elizabeth.C.Pannill@aphis.usda.gov"
To: Kristina Brunner
Sent: Wed, January 19, 2011 3:18:06 PM

Subject: Re: WAO Animals
Wao has that info
Geez, I hate all this game playing with the USDA.  For once, I just wish they would level with me.  All I can do now is pray that Maverick has a really good home, especially after all that he has been through for the last several years.

Later:  Maverick is found!

From: Kristina Brunner

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 19:39:20 -0600
To: city/votinor/rhonda.votino@ci.amarillo.tx.us, rhonda.votino@ci.amarillo.tx.us
Subject: FW: Maverick - Black Spotted Leopard

Greetings Rhonda:

I was not sure if my last email went through or not, so I thought I'd follow-up!


Thank you very much for taking in Maverick -- he is a very special leopard who has been through a lot recently--he is such a love bug... I was happy to learn you were able to take in two female tigers (I believe Misha and Shaniah). I look forward to seeing pictures of the three cats in their new homes! Shall I check back with you in about a month?

Again, thank you for taking in Maverick, Misha, and Shaniah!


Kindest regards,


Kristina
From: "city/votinor/rhonda.votino@ci.amarillo.tx.us"

To: kbrunner@...
Sent: Tue, January 25, 2011 9:13:11 PM
Subject: RE: FW: Maverick - Black Spotted Leopard


Hi Kristina--


I did get your last e-mail. Checking back in a month would be good. I really hope for the exhibits to be completed soon. We are anxious to get the cats outside in their new enclosures. The two tigers we took from WAO were Sabrina and Savannah...they are both about 6 years old. We'll keep you posted.


Thanks.


Rhonda

From: Kristina Brunner kbrunner@...

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 16:06:18 -0600
To: zoo@amarilloparks.org
Subject: Maverick - Black Spotted Leopard

Greetings Amarillo Zoo:

I recently learned that Maverick, a black-spotted leopard from the closed Wild Animal Orphanage (San Antonio) lives at your facility.

I have known Maverick for almost ten years as an animal caretaker and I was wondering how he was adopting to his new home. By chance, could I have a quick Maverick update and perhaps a picture of him in his new home?

I miss him terribly and I pray he is enjoying his new environment. Thank you for taking him in -

Kind Regards,

Kristina
From: city/votinor/rhonda.votino@ci.amarillo.tx.us

[mailto:city/votinor/rhonda.votino@ci.amarillo.tx.us]
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2011 8:42 PM
To: kbrunner@...
Subject: RE: Maverick - Black Spotted Leopard

Hi Kristina--

Maverick is doing very well so far. It took him a few days to get used to new keepers and his new surroundings. But now, he eats well and interacts with his keepers. He takes everything in stride...a very sweet cat. We also had a black leopard that passed last year of kidney failure...Maverick reminds me of him alot with his personality. We still have work being done

on Maverick's exhibit as it is being expanded. Maverick is in an inside holding area at the moment. As soon as the exhibit is completed and we get him out into it I can send you a picture. We were glad we could help out WAO with some of their animal placements. We were also able to give homes to two of the female tigers. We hope to get them on exhibit soon as well.

If you have any other questions let me know. Thanks for inquiring about Maverick.

Rhonda

Rhonda Votino
Zoo Curator
Amarillo Zoo
e-mail: rhonda.votino@ci.amarillo.tx.us

No comments:

Post a Comment