No printing or copying pictures

Saturday, November 20, 2010

My Take on the Escaped Cougar Issue

I've been asked by several people what was my opinion regarding the cougar's great escape.  At first, I believed it to be the act of a disgruntled ex-director(s) or a family member who broke in and "liberated" the cougar.  For you see, after all that has been transpired over the last four years, it would not have surprised me in the least of the cougar had some "human" help to escape.

However, my opinion changed based on the information I have received from various sources.  Turns out the cougar did have some "human" help, but not the kind I'd thought. 

Here is what I have learned thus far:

Henry Newman (pictured left) was apparently tearing down empty enclosures next to the occupied cougar cage with a bobcat vehicle (mistake #1).  I was told that Henry backed into the cougar cage, damaging the structure of the enclosure (mistake #2).  I also learned that he damaged the perimeter fence separating the WAO and the Asvestas properties (mistake #3). 

Henry apparently failed to notify anyone of the damage he caused to the cougar and fences-line structure, resulting in the cougar escaping (mistake #4).  And for whatever reason, no animal caretaker checked on the cougars at the end of the day, to make sure they were okay with all the construction activity next to their enclosure (mistake #5).  Based on USDA/APHIS reports, the Leslie Road perimeter fence had several damaged areas which were never fixed (mistake #6).  So it was only a matter of time before an animal escaped the property.

Henry Newman, a self-proclaimed bull rider has quite a criminal record with Bexar County and by no means should have been operating a bobcat vehicle, let a lone a shotgun.

Based on my weekend observations from January - April 2010, I recommended to Nicole, right before the hostile takeover, that Henry Newman's employment at the WAO be terminated, as I believed he was incompetent and a risk to the WAO animals.  How ironic that he was one of the few employees still allowed to work around the animals despite his criminal and work history.  And how ironic that my prediction, he would be a risk to the animals, came true.

I also heard that Michelle Cryer ran up to Carol Asvestas and gave her a big hug, saying over and over again how sorry she was about this incident.  If I remember correctly, Carol said something like, "let's focus on finding the cougar for now." 

Then to make matters worse, Suzanne Straw went on the news comparing the cougar's escape to that of a dog or cat escaping a private owner's property. Ouch!  Comparing apples to oranges -- for there is a big difference a dog getting loose and a cougar getting loose for if my dog gets loose, no one is going to call the Sheriff's Office, SAPD, or Texas Parks & Wildlife to hunt my animal down and possibly shoot him with a dart or firearm.

And why did Suszanne Straw have to say at the end of one interview "but what happened today is a perfect example of why people should not have exotic pets."  That was really stupid to say because the animal escaped from a sanctuary, not a private owner!!  Is she trying to deflect the  poor management of the WAO onto private exotic wild animal owners instead? 

So, now I find myself agreeing with Carol Asvestas--the WAO is being mismanaged (in my opinion, seriously mismanaged).  As long as the Cryers keep around their "friends" who have absolutely no business working around animals, events such as this may very well happen again.

I am just relieved no human was hurt or injured because Sarah would have surely been killed.

I am also saddened that there was an animal casualty -- the small dog that was attacked by the cougar.  Regardless of who the owner was, the puppy did not deserve to be attacked by a cougar.  I blame the incompetent WAO management and workers for the suffering they have caused this poor little animal.  No doubt the directors will be paying for this mistake--a very expensive mistake.

Dear Jesus, please heal this puppy's wounds, both physically and mentally, as the result of an attack by a cougar.  This dog truly needs Your healing powers.  In Your Magnificent Name, I pray and ask it - Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment