No printing or copying pictures

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Really Screwed Up Texas Legislation Session

So much has happened in the last few days regarding the various Bills pending either in the Texas House or Senate committees.

I believe I've reported previously about HB 251 and 1546, both which are up for public comment tomorrow.  Rumor has it a lot of people are there to speak with the Committee members regarding how horrible both Bills are to Texas animals living in sanctuaries today.

What is worse, there are two bill substitutions (not posted to the Legislative web site) for HB 251 and 1546 (see below).  If it wasn't for such a tight network of people working to stop these bills, I would have never have known how much the Bills changed from their original posting on the State's legislative web site.

So let's look at the Bills:

CSHB251 (Substitution)

Overall, this is a horrible bill for the most obvious reasons. 

CSHB 1546 by Larson[1] (Substitution)

And this one is not much better -- both are bad, bad bills.

I am reposting my analysis for HB 1546 as I made changes since the last posting.  Truly the spirit of this letter can apply to both Bills:
House Committee of Culture, Recreation & Tourism
From: Kristina Brunner 
To: Ryan.Guillen@house.state.tx.us; Gary.Elkins@house.state.tx.us; Joe.Deshotel@house.state.tx.us; Dawnna.Dukes@house.state.tx.us; Tracy.King@house.state.tx.us; John.Kuempel@house.state.tx.us; Lyle.Larson@house.state.tx.us; Four.Price@house.state.tx.us; Todd.Smith@house.state.tx.us
Cc: Craig.Estes@senate.state.tx.us; Carlos.Uresti@senate.state.tx.us; Glenn.Hegar@senate.state.tx.us; Juan.Hinojosa@senate.state.tx.us; Mike.Jackson@senate.state.tx.us; jeff.wentworth@senate.state.tx.us


Sent: Sat, April 9, 2011 9:09:24 PM
Subject: HB 1546 - Important Bill Analysis





Texas House of Representatives

Rep. Ryan Guillen (Chair)
Rep. Joe Deshotel
Rep. Dawnna Dukes
Rep. John Kuempel
Rep. Walter “Four” Price

April 9, 2011
Dear Honorable Committee Representatives:


I urge you to vote NO on HB 1546 authored and filed by Lyle Larson on Feb. 21, 2011.:


It is my understanding the companion Bill, SB 958, was open for public comment on April 4, 2011. Unfortunately I was not able to attend the hearing and therefore unable to provide my analysis as to why SB 958 should be defeated. When I learned the results of the hearing, I prepared a Bill Analysis which I believe you may find insightful (attached).

Today I learned the Culture, Recreation & Tourism Committee will hold a hearing on the merits of HB1546. Sadly, I will not be able to attend the hearing on Tuesday, April 12, 2011.

Therefore, I pray you will accept my letter and Bill Analysis to serve as my proxy.

While I am not opposed to open discussion as to how the State can best protect non-profit sanctuary animals and public contributions made in support of animal care, I simply cannot, in good conscious, remain silent on this most important issue.

There is a positive solution to this challenge that would not indiscriminately close down Texas businesses and yet still provide the very protection you seek for sanctuary animals and the general public.

I welcome the opportunity to provide reasonable and constructive recommendations towards your goal for better protecting non-profit sanctuaries and public contributions used to care for the animals.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or ideas you wish to discuss regarding HB1546.

Thank you for your time and attention to this most important topic.


Sincerely,



Kristina M. Brunner
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
San Antonio, TX 782xx


Carbon Copy:

Texas Senate
Attention: Senate Committee on Agriculture & Rural Affairs
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, Texas 78768-2910

Sen. Craig Estes (Chair)
Sen. Carlos Uresti (Vice Chair)
Sen. Glenn Hegar (Member)
Sen. Juan Hinojosa (Member)
Sen. Mike Jackson (Member)  
SB958 Bill Analysis

I wish I had more time to argue the merits of voting against HB251 and posting my analysis on this blog, but unfortunately since I just learned about the meeting tomorrow earlier today, I guess those that actually have a vested interest will have to lead the charge against HB251. 

I just pray the committee members take my analysis of HB1546 to heart as they contemplate whether or not to go forward with this bad, bad bill.

Ironically, these bills do not protect sanctuary animals; not do the bills protect contributions made towards the care of the animals.  Sad.  Very sad.  I may not make a difference in this sorid political affairs, but I can at least keep my chin up and say "I tried."

Too bad more is placed on accountability -- such as, oh I don't know, maybe have the OAG and USDA do their jobs and prosecute criminals?  Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment